Follow by Email

Saturday, January 8, 2011

The Year in Review

Usually the last week of December is filled with television shows that review the biggest news stories of the year. I saw a countdown of the top videos of the year and I saw a tribute to all the celebrities who passed on in 2010, but I didn't see anything that reviewed big news stories for the year. Maybe this means I ran from reputable news and only watched television shows/channels that were strictly entertaining. Or maybe others are feeling like me...run from 2010 and don't look back.

Don't get me wrong, I realize that I am blessed. I am still employed, I have a wonderful family that I love, I have a roof over my head, etc. etc. etc. But if I am not careful to stay positive, I can't help but moan about the fact that 2010 was filled with more than a fair share of negatives, including: several health crises for myself and family members, relationships with loved ones that were particularly challenging, stressful financial challenges, professional attacks that I have never before experienced , and great disappointment by two individuals whom I looked up to. So I am quite content to view 2010 from the rearview mirror.

This time of year I usually declare "this is going to be my year!". But it never is. So in order to achieve different results, I must do some things differently, right? 2010 has taught me the following: Guard your health - you don't realize you've taken it for granted until it wanes; cherish your family, but develop interests beyond them---the day may come where family members feel smothered and their assertion for independence will feel like rejection; get serious about finances, because financial distress effects so many areas of life; trust people but don't put all your faith in man, because man will fail you. My professional crises in 2010 taught me so much that I will have to share those lessons at another time. But suffice it to say that 2010 confirmed what I already knew --- have something beyond work to give you value.

Take one last look at your 2010. What lessons can you glean from your experiences to make the most of the new year?

No comments:

Post a Comment