Follow by Email

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Forgiveness, Part 2

Why do so many of us find it hard to forgive others when they have wronged us? I don't know about anybody else, but for me it has a lot to do with what it seems to mean. Forgiveness feels like complicity...as if forgiving someone makes me a participant in the wrong they have done to me. Or as if I am saying what was done to me was OK.

Intellectually I know this is not the case. But this is what so often keeps me stuck. When someone has done something horribly wrong to me, I don't want to act as if it didn't matter, as if what they did was OK. And forgiving and moving forward feels like this...like I am negating the severity of the offense.

So again, as I continue to work to be a more forgiving person, I remind myself that I must show the grace that I want shown to me.

1 comment: