Follow by Email

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

"If you wanna be cha chee, be cha chee"

Well, I am still not ready to make my new year's resolutions.  However, I have been reflecting on who I am and who I want to be in an effort to figure out what I need to focus on next year.  So you know what I want?  I want to be cha chee.  What's cha chee, you ask?  Well, it's hard to explain, but here goes---

Some time ago I was watching a t.v. show that featured people who had created amazing lives.  Many were creators of well known businesses or inventors of gadgets, things like that.  They were people who seemed to come out of nowhere and where catapulted to the lifestyle of the rich and famous as a result of their ingenious ideas.  I am so mad I can't think of the name of the show or remember what cable channel it came on.  But anyway.....an elderly lady was being interviewed.  She said to the interviewer "if you wanna be cha chee, be cha chee.  Life is too short".  Now this woman didn't explain what cha chee meant.  But you could figure it out from the context of her whole interview.  Her whole point was to not let life constrict and confine you.  She encouraged people to not worry about what others say you should do or who you should be, but live life based on who your own terms.  Cha chee kind of symbolized a vivacious spirit.  Remember Charo? www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaWi5iWsysgCharo was cha chee.

Now, I don't want that level of va va va voom.  But I'd like to be sexy before I am senile.  Bumping it up a notch would at least put me even with the vitality/sex appeal of umm, I don't know---Rosa Parks? And I want to reclaim that girl I knew decades ago who was fearless; my former self would be met with a challenge and take it head on.  And win!  I miss the bad ass who was on track to work for the CIA.  The gutsy girl who went to ISU five months pregnant and met every naysayer with a death stare cold enough to freeze hell over, managing to graduate ON TIME while raising a baby.  The one who used to be able to take a punch and and still remain standing. My kids never met her---they only know the doormat who traded her dreams for security (that's not so secure), lost her voice and allowed others to disrespect her (and them).

So, I think 2012 will mark my quest to be cha chee.  Here's my theme song:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPjTmIMt4L8

Don't you want to be cha chee?

No comments:

Post a Comment